I had so much fun with the hills in playlist #30 that I made another one that is once again very hill heavy, including a big 12 minute hill early on. As always, at the beginning I instruct my class to wind on up and find their steepest hill, then take some load off so everyone is starting at roughly the same place.
You can find this playlist on Spotify, username bec-p, playlist Thirty first.
Tracklist (notes following):
- Danza Kuduro – warming up with a bit of load, it’s only a short track as we continue warming up in the next track.
- The Edge of Glory – we’ve got 3 seated surges, one in each chorus. Add some more load so there’s definitely something to push against. They get longer each time.
- Downtown, The fun lovin’ criminal, 4 Minutes – these 3 tracks form a big hill, about 12-13 minutes long. Everybody needs to add load so they’re working hard to stay on the beat. Start with 15 seconds in the saddle, then come up for an eight count. Back down for 30 seconds, up for an 8 count. Continue adding 15 seconds every time you sit, working towards 90 seconds in the saddle, then come back down reducing by 15 seconds every time.
- Blaze the fire – Time for some tabata speed so take some load off and get ready to sprint and loosen up those legs. You can fit in 5 x 30 second sprints, with a 10 sec rest in between. Add a bit of load for each one.
- Fireball – this track is the big jumps where we come right off the seat. Add lots more load, it needs to be heavy otherwise you can’t stay on the beat. There are 3 rounds, the first one kicks in at 32 seconds, you’re up for 4 beats, down for 4, sit back down when the next verse starts. For the second and third rounds I bring in a hover before the jumps. It’s a good extra little challenge. Remind your class to come straight up and down, not to rock from side to side.
- I can transform ya – I quite often use these surges in my classes. Stick with the heavy load. We’ve got 3 heavy surges coming. We start out of the saddle, pushing as hard as we can into the load then we drop into the seat and keep pushing. Tell your class that it’s good to build the momentum when they’re up as it will help when they sit. The first surge is at 58 sec – push out of the saddle for 12 seconds then sit for the push, you’ll hear the change in the music. Tell your class that it’s good to build the momentum when they’re up as it will help when they sit.
- Soundclash – the steepest track of the class. Add as much load as you can and just grind through it. It’s active recovery, tell your class to take the break as the next two tracks are nasty. Sit for some, stand for some.
- Liberté – lighten that load a bit, we’ve got a standing climb, working on the beat. This is a quick track with a fast beat. There’s a wee patch to sit at 34 sec and then it’s back up. Slow it down briefly at 2:16 and then march to the end.
- Shot Me Down – last track, a bit of load comes off. We’ve got 2 surges coming, same as the ones in ‘I can transform ya.’. We start out of the saddle, pushing as hard as we can into the load then we drop into the seat and keep pushing. Remind your class to build their momentum. The first surge is at 40 sec – push out of the saddle for 16 seconds then sit for the push, you’ll hear the change in the music
Done! Finish off with a couple of cool down tracks, I used Sign of the times and Every breath you take for this playlist.