This is currently my favourite playlist. It is very hill heavy, including a big 12 minute hill early on. As always, at the beginning I instruct my class to wind on up and find their steepest hill, then take some load off so everyone is starting at roughly the same place.
You can find this playlist on Spotify, username bec-p, playlist Thirtieth.
Tracklist (notes following):
- Switch – warming up with a bit of load, it’s only a short track as we continue warming up in the next track.
- Castle on the hill – we’ve got 3 seated surges, one in each chorus. Add some more load so there’s definitely something to push against.
- A light that never comes, How you like me now, Watch out for this (Bumaye) – these 3 tracks form a big hill, about 12-13 minutes long. Everybody needs to add load so they’re working hard to stay on the beat. Start with 15 seconds in the saddle, then come up for an eight count. Back down for 30 seconds, up for an 8 count. Continue adding 15 seconds every time you sit, working towards 90 seconds in the saddle, then come back down reducing by 15 seconds every time.
- Like it like that – this is the first of 2 jump tracks and you’ll need to take some load off. These ones are little mini jumps, just raise your butt an inch off the seat. There are only 2 rounds and the first one is short. It kicks in at 57 sec, you raise your butt for 3 seconds, sit for three and repeat. You’ll be able to hear the change in the music. In the first round you only do the up/down twice, the second round is much longer. It’ll be easy for the first couple but then the upper legs really start to work and the pain comes in. Remind your class to just lift their butts and not come away from the seat.
- Rock this party – this track is the big jumps where we come right off the seat. Add some more load, it needs to be heavy otherwise you can’t stay on the beat. There are 3 rounds, the first one kicks in at 34 seconds, you’re up for 4 beats, down for 4, sit back down when the female vocals kick in. Remind your class to come straight up and down, not to rock from side to side.
- Warrior – I quite often use these surges in my classes. Stick with the heavy load. We’ve got 3 heavy surges coming. We start out of the saddle, pushing as hard as we can into the load then we drop into the seat and keep pushing. Tell your class that it’s good to build the momentum when they’re up as it will help when they sit. The first surge is at 34 sec – push out of the saddle for 13 seconds then sit for the push, you’ll hear the change in the music.
- Jungle – the steepest track of the class. Add as much load as you can and just grind through it. It’s active recovery, tell your class to take the break as the next two tracks are nasty. Sit for some, stand for some.
- Underneath the radar – lighten that load a bit, we’re working on the beat. This is a long track, but it’s got a fast beat. There are 3 distinct rounds – in each one we start out of the saddle, then drop into a hover and then back in the seat. Finish it off with a stomp to the end. This one gets my heart rate absolutely sky high.
- You’re gonna go far, kid – 3 more surges and we’re done. Lighten the load just a bit. Just like we did in the ‘Warrior’ track, we’ve got 3 chances to push some speed out of the seat before we drop back into it. First one starts at 17 sec, sit down at 40 sec. There’s not much of a break in between each round but it’s the last track so push hard right until the very end.
Done! Finish off with a couple of cool down tracks, I used Get Together and I Walk The Line for this playlist.